This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and a partner of other brands, I get a small commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost from you.
When you find yourself in Starbucks one too many times and the line is way too long to wait for a cold foam, you might want to learn how to make cold foam on your own.
A cold foam is usually made with milk, heavy whipping cream or half & half and it’s recommended to be shaken, not stirred.
A cold foam can be served with any iced coffee that comes in a cup or as a latte drink.
Without any further ado, let’s see what exactly is in a Starbucks cold foam, how to make it yourself at home and why you need cold foam in your life.
What Is Cold Foam?
A cold foam is a drink composed of milk, cream or half and half that is typically served on top of coffee.
The large bubbles found in the drink make it appear frothy and light.
It can also be mixed with syrups such as chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, and other flavors.
Cold Foam Recipe
You start with an iced coffee. The instructions are the same for any cold foam drink, but the iced coffee is the base.
To make a cold foam you will need:
You can use anything that holds your ice coffee as well as any other ingredients that you think might be good in it such as chocolate syrup, caramel sauce or even salt.
- Whole Milk – Fresh, raw whole milk is the best and most common for your cold foam. You will need about 1/2-3/4 cup depending on the size of your glass.
- Cream / Half and half / Heavy whipping cream – 1/2-3/4 cup depending on the size of your glass.
“Heavy” whipping cream is typically used in cold foam drinks because it’s thicker than regular whipping cream, but it can be used as an alternative to whole milk if you don’t have any whole milk on hand.
It will slightly change the flavor slightly but it will still work out great.
- Iced Coffee – 1 1/4 to 2 cups of ice coffee.
- Sugar (depending on your taste)
Three Methods To Make Cold Foam At Home
While there are more ways to make cold foam at home, I will talk about only three in this article.
Three methods for creating cold foam are the use of an immersion blender, a hand mixer and a french press.
The first method involves pouring the cream, sugar, and milk into a pitcher, whisking with an immersion blender until the desired consistency is reached.
The second involves cleaning the mixing blades of a hand mixer, pouring all of the ingredients into a large bowl and whisking until they are mixed together completely.
After this has been done, pour everything but the flavoring into a pitcher and put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes so that they can come together to form foam.
After this time, add your flavoring and put the pitcher back in the fridge for another 15 minutes.
The third way to use a french press involves making sure that the container has been thoroughly washed, then pouring the ingredients into the pot.
Put on your lid, then give it a few gentle stirs before putting it in the fridge for about 30 minutes so that everything can come together to form foam.
Now let’s take a look at how to whip up cold foam using each one of these simple methods.
1. How To Make Cold Foam In An Immersion Blender
The immersion blender is used to quickly mix together all of the ingredients like cream, sugar, and whole milk.
It will help to break down the fat in the drinks.
Step By Step Instructions To Make Cold Foam At Home Using An Immersion Blender:
1. Place all of the ingredients into a blender jar.
2. Blend for 20-30 seconds until the ingredients are completely mixed together.
3. Pour the mixture into a large pitcher so that it can be kept cool until you are ready to serve.
2. How To Make Cold Foam Using A Hand Mixer
Step By Step Instructions To Make Cold Foam At Home Using A Hand Mixer:
1) Place all of the ingredients into a blender jar.
2) Blend for 20-30 seconds until the ingredients are completely mixed together and are fluffed up.
3) Pour the mixture into a large pitcher so that it can be kept cool until you are ready to serve.
3. How To Make Cold Foam Using A French Press
Step By Step Instructions To Make Cold Foam At Home Using A French Press:
1. Fill the french press with heavy cream/half & half, milk and sugar.
2. Cover the top of the french press with a fitted lid and push the plunger down a few times until the cream foams up.
3. After you push down on the plunger, hold in place for a few seconds. This allows for a more intense foam to form in the top of the press.
4. Pour your espresso into a cup and add one or two shots of cold milk.
Stir quickly to make the cold foam stick to your coffee.
If you don’t have cold milk on hand, add an ice cube or two to your coffee cup before adding your foamed cold brew coffee.
I hope you learn how to make cold foam, try this at home and enjoy your experiments!
What is In Starbucks Cold Foam?
The Starbucks Cold Foam is the Starbucks topping that is added to their iced coffee that is served in a cup.
The cold milk, which is 80-percent milk and 20-percent cream, produces an essence of froth on top of the beverage.
The foam can also be topped off with a rich caramel drizzle.
The cold foam is currently offered in about 33% of Starbucks stores across the United States.
To find out where you can access this new drink at your local Starbucks, just stop by or go to their website for more information.
The Cold Foam adds a creamy consistency to the drink. It’s served in many different flavors such as salted caramel, pumpkin, vanilla.
The Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam is made with Cream, Mono And Diglycerides, Carageenan, Milk, Pumpkin Spice Sauce, Vanilla Syrup.
The Salted Caramel Cream Cold Foam is made with Vanilla Sweet Cream (Cream (Cream, Mono And Diglycerides, Carageenan), Milk, Vanilla Syrup, Caramel Syrup, Salt.
Lastly, the Vanilla Sweet Cream Cold Foam is made with Cream, Mono And Diglycerides, Carageenan), Milk, Vanilla Syrup.
As you can see, a cold foam can be mixed with many different flavors.
One of the most common cold foam flavors is Salted Caramel.
What Does Cold Foam Taste Like?
Cold foam is a tasty mixture of milk, heavy cream and sugar.
It has an interesting texture that resembles one of the milkshakes at the local diner.
The one flavor I get at Starbucks is “Salted Caramel” which is really good.
It really complements the coffee.
Are Cold Foams Healthy?
I wouldn’t say it’s the healthiest drink as it contains a couple of ingredients that the Food and Drug Administration has shown to cause cancer.
These ingredients are:
Carrageenan – This can cause gastrointestinal problems as well as immune, endocrine, and reproductive system disruptions.
Mono And Diglycerides – This can lead to stomach ulcers as well as gastrointestinal issues.
That being said, it refers to the ingredients listed in the Starbucks cold foams.
But if you are making cold foam at home, then it will have fewer ingredients and still be healthier.
However, it’s important to know that heavy whipping cream contains saturated fat and cholesterol.
So, if you must read the ingredient label, then I recommend that you opt for an iced coffee drink that doesn’t contain heavy whipping cream.
How To Make Cold Foam – Dairy-Free Version
For this dairy-free version, you will need none other than canned full-fat coconut milk.
Just refrigerate it the night before.
The next morning, just shake the can to incorporate the creamy layer that has formed and the liquid.
Once you’re ready, blend the coconut milk, sweetener of choice, any spice you like(cinnamon, pumpkin spice, vanilla bean) with your mixer or frother.
And voila, there you have a dairy-free cold foam! This is a tasty way to make cold foam for iced coffee.
What Is The Best Way To Make Cold Foam?
- The best way to make cold foam is to choose ingredients that will give you a creamy texture, whether they are natural or artificial.
- If you want your cold foam to have a different taste, add different flavors at the same time before freezing it again. For example, add some sweetened condensed milk before freezing it if you prefer sweeter beverages. You can also add other flavors such as chocolate powder or any other ingredient that may be desired!
- The best way to create cold foam is the one that suits your personal preference because this will allow you to create different combinations and achieve the best results in terms of texture and taste.
Final Thoughts About How To Make Cold Foam For Coffee
Cold foam can be an alternative to ice cubes in your coffee drinks.
It is also a very important component in cold beverages that require milk or ice cubes.
Making cold foam for coffee is not as difficult as it sounds.
If you know what you’re doing and follow the instructions, you will be able to create cold foam for iced coffee that you can drink as soon as it’s done!
Just take into account that different ingredients may be required depending on your preferences and situation.
Before making cold foam for iced coffee, always prepare your ingredients ahead of time so that they can blend well together.
Make sure that the mixture has the same characteristics if you want to create a certain type of foam for this purpose.
Whatever you do I hope you enjoy this post and do try this and let me know how it turns out for you.