This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and a partner of other brands, I get a small commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost from you.
Do you want to enjoy a great coffee and don’t know where to start?
There are many types of coffee drinks available, from the most basic drip brews to more exotic cold brews.
If you’ve been wondering what separates one type from another, here is a list of the most common types so you can figure it out as soon as possible.
As a new coffee drinker, you should try to memorize the common types of coffee drinks so you can confidently order whatever you want when you go to a coffee shop.
28 Types of Coffee Drinks
An espresso is the king of all coffee drinks. It is the creme de la creme of all the different types of coffee drinks, so to speak.
It is directly related to espresso shots, so it’s important for you to know what espresso shots are if you want to order them.
It is a very strong type of coffee made with coffee beans that are finely ground until they are almost turning into powder. The ground coffee beans are then packed inside the espresso maker.
Once the machine is turned on, water at around 94 to 96 degrees Celsius will be forced through the filter pack.
The hot water will push the coffee through the filter, and once it has reached its destination, you can drink it right away or you can change its texture by adding milk or additional flavorings.
An espresso is also known as the short black.
It is a fast coffee drink that can give you a boost of caffeine. If the coffee shop offers espresso shots, you should know that espresso shots can be as little as one ounce or as much as four ounces.
2. Double Espresso
A double espresso is similar to an ordinary espresso, but it is twice as strong. You can drink it without any additions, but you can also add sugar or milk to soften the caffeine punch.
This drink is not for people who are new at drinking coffee, especially those who are more sensitive to caffeine.
Also known as the double shot, this drink is a good choice for those who want to maximize the amount of caffeine.
It has the strength of espresso, but it doesn’t have a Starbucks-like concentration that may leave your head pounding after your first sip.
A cappuccino is a drink that combines espresso and milk. It is the most popular type of coffee drink in the world, ranking second only to water in terms of popularity.
The espresso shot, which adds more caffeine to the drink, is poured into a cup that has been prepared with some milk frother or with steam.
Once it is ready, you can add some chocolate powder on top. The milk frother can be either steaming hot or cold depending on your preference.
A cappuccino is a drink that has a creamy texture and comes with a rich density. It is also available in several flavors, which can be represented by chocolate powder or cherry syrup.
Famously known as mocha, this drink is similar to the cappuccino, but it is made with an espresso paired with chocolate powder and milk.
Some coffee shops may also sprinkle the drink with chocolate powder. The sprinkle of chocolate may vary depending on what type of mochaccino you want.
The idea is to enjoy the bitter flavor of the cocoa without putting too much pressure on your stomach.
This is a shot of espresso added to a cup of hot water. The name comes from the way the coffee is prepared, by brewing directly into a cup with little preparation.
The Americano could also be called a single shot.
6. Long Black
A long black is a black coffee with a strong flavor, but it is still lighter than the other dark roasts even if it is made from the same beans.
With very low acidity, this type of coffee makes an excellent choice for folks who want to avoid caffeine overload.
A long black coffee is not consumed with milk, but it can be prepared in a variety of ways.
It could either be poured through a filter that contains ground coffee or cut with hot water, or it can simply be an extra-long espresso shot.
The latte is a very popular drink in the United States and in most European countries.
It is made from freshly brewed espresso combined with steamed milk, and the only difference between a latte and cappuccino is the amount of foam on top.
8. Flat White
A flat white is a strong coffee drink that is usually made from medium roast coffee beans.
The beans are ground into a very fine grind that will then be mixed with the concoction called flat white, which is an espresso shot topped with a small drizzle of frothed milk.
The word ‘flat’ comes from the way the latte looks, as it is poured through a special device that cuts its top so it looks like a flat cup of coffee rather than a bowl of milk and coffee.
A macchiato is essentially an espresso shot with a small amount of hot milk added right before consumption. The coffee retains its initial strength because it does not come into contact with the milk.
This drink is truly popular among Italian-American espresso lovers, and the name comes from the word ‘macchiato’, meaning ‘spots’ in Italian.
Those who love this drink should try to order it at least once during their visits to Italy.
10. Long Macchiato
A long macchiato is a stronger version of the macchiato, and it is made by adding hot water to the espresso shot before mixing in the milk.
The hot water will boost the strength of the espresso and add a delicious flavor to it. It does not require any frothing, which makes it ideal for those who don’t like too much foam on their beverages.
The cortado is the smallest cup of espresso, and it is slightly stronger than a traditional latte. It has less foam, but it also has a higher concentration of caffeine.
It’s made from equal parts of espresso and milk. Also, most coffee lovers will use a double of espresso for their cortados.
A breve is a drink that is made from steamed milk and espresso shots. The word breve means ‘brief’, and it refers to the way this drink looks when it is poured into a cup.
It has very little foam, but that’s just fine because the flavor of this beverage is all in its creamy texture.
13. Iced Espresso
Espresso is a great nightcap that gets you going in the morning, but it could also be a nice drink in the summer because it has a naturally cooling effect.
The best thing about iced espresso is that you can add milk to make it even tastier.
This drink takes the same process as the normal espresso, but when it’s finished, you can add ice cubes or cold milk for a chilled drink.
An affogato is a really simple drink that combines hot espresso and vanilla ice cream. It is prepared by pouring the espresso on top of the vanilla ice cream, and then it will be gently mixed with a spoon.
The name affogato comes from the Italian word ‘affogato’, which means ‘drowned’.
Frappuccino is a popular drink that combines espresso with vanilla, chocolate, and a variety of other flavors.
The main difference between a frappuccino and a normal vanilla-flavored coffee is the manner in which each flavor is mixed. In a frappe, the flavors are blended together rather than poured separately on top of the coffee.
It’s good to note that some Frappuccinos at Starbucks do not have an espresso as the base of the drink. Frappuccinos are neither as simple as an affogato nor as complex as a frappuccino.
The liquid base of the drink is mixed with some liquid coffee and some ice before it is poured into a cup that is already prepared with whipped cream, syrup and sugar.
Vienna is a strong coffee that is made from an espresso and whipped cream. Instead of adding milk, whipped cream is added to give that velvety texture. It is mostly served with chocolate syrup on top.
17. Cafe Au Lait
Cafe au lait, or coffee with milk, is a drink that features a strong coffee flavor with a milk finish. It is similar to an Americano because both drinks are made from strong espresso.
However, the difference is that the mixture in the Americano is always cold, while cafe au lait can be served hot or cold depending on your preferences.
Lungo is a drink that is made from a shot of espresso and a double amount of hot water. Its name comes from the Italian word ‘lungo’, which means ‘long’.
Lungos are not that hard to make at home, but the right coffee espresso machine is also needed. Lungos are made using the same process as the normal espresso, but they are served much longer than normal cups of coffee.
19. Dry Cappuccino
This is a cappuccino that has little or no foam on top. It is not as creamy as the cappuccino, and it is very popular in most cafes.
The word ‘dry’ comes from the lack of foam, and it usually means that this drink will be served with extra hot water.
20. Bone Dry Cappuccino
A bone dry Cappuccino is a cappuccino that doesn’t contain any milk, just a huge dollop of foam.
The cloud of white froth may look appealing and will definitely fill you up, but it’s actually not as tasty as the regular cappuccino.
21. Cold Brew Coffee
The cold brew coffee, or iced coffee, is a completely different type of beverage that will allow you to have an almost instant espresso experience.
This drink is made by mixing ground coffee with cold water and letting it steep in the refrigerator for several hours.
Cold brew coffees are often made from darker roasts which impart a rich taste to the mixture, but they do contain less caffeine than regular coffee beans.
22. Nitro Cold Brew
Another version of the cold brew coffee is the Nitro Cold Brew coffee. It shares the same ingredients and mixture as the normal cold brew, but it also has nitrogen infused in it.
Nitro Cold Brew coffee is known for having a nice foamy head and a creamy texture, but it also contains more caffeine than the standard cold brew.
23. Japanese Iced Coffee
This type of coffee may be one of the most refreshing drinks to consume if you like iced coffees and you like Japanese culture or fashion style.
This drink can be made into many different versions, depending on how you want it to look like and what flavors that you would like to add to it.
24. Cafe Con Leche
Cafe con leche, or coffee with milk, has a Latin American origin and a very unique brewing method. The traditional way of making this drink is by pouring an espresso shot into a cup of hot milk.
It is almost similar to the latte macchiato, but it has a strong espresso taste that will last for a long time. In most cafes, you can order the cafe con leche with or without sugar.
This is probably the shortest cup of espresso. A ristretto is really easy to make, and it’s made by brewing espresso with less water.
The term ‘ristretto’ means ‘restricted’ in Italian, and it basically means that the ground coffee has to be restricted in size or quantity.
A doppio is another coffee that’s made using the same method as the normal espresso. It features a double amount of grounds in contrast to the normal one.
Doppio is often made with dark roasts, so it has a very intense bitter taste, which makes it great for lattes or cappuccinos.
27. Lazy Eye Coffee
A lazy eye is usually 2-3 shots of espresso or a regular coffee with one shot of decaf coffee. It is a mixture of two different shots of espresso or coffee, and it has a very unique taste.
28. Turkish Coffee
This one is an original drink that not only tastes incredible but also has a very special history. It’s called Turkish Coffee because it’s prepped in a special utensil named cezve.
This device is usually made out of copper, has a lid and it’s used to control the steam that evaporates from the coffee after it’s brewed.
Also, the cezve has a handle that is used to stir the coffee like a normal cup.
Which Type of Coffee Drink Is Best?
Hard question because each one has its own taste and some of them can be very satisfying.
A lot of people prefer the foam on top because it’s what they’ve been accustomed to, but others like the taste of the coffee underneath the foam.
Since each drink is unique, they all have different tastes. All you have to do is decide which type you like most and enjoy your coffee!
If you’re someone with a preference for strong coffee, you should try the espresso shot. The best way to experience this drink is to compare it with the macchiato.
In general, both drinks are made from a single shot of espresso, but the espresso macchiato is stronger and doesn’t have any foam on top. On the other hand, a latte has a lot of foam and a strong taste of coffee underneath it.
If you’re someone who does not like strong coffee drinks, go for a cappuccino or a latte macchiato.
These two types of coffee beverages are perfect for people who prefer milder tastes and want to add some sweetness to their beverage without having to add sugar or syrup beforehand.
Most Common Brewing Methods For Different Types of Coffee Drinks
There are different ways to brew coffee, and there is no perfect method for everything.
Each type of drink will work best in a certain way, but in most cases, the method you use will depend on the coffee machine you’ve got.
Here they are:
• French Press – When it comes to making coffee in a French press, the coffee is brewed by dripping finely ground coffee into hot water until it’s finished. Choose medium or coarse grind for the best results when using this method.
• Turkish – The Turkish method of brewing is the only kind that works with coffee beans that are already roasted. This method is quick since it just requires you to grind up the coffee beans at the same time you begin preparing the hot water.
• Drip – The drip method is the most common way of making coffee. In this method, boiling water is poured into a filter and then the ground coffee is added. This technique is most often used in a single-cup machine or a French press.
Of all these methods, the drip is the one you will most often use at home for making your favorite drink you’ve come to love.
However, you might also use the other methods in some parts of your home. A drip machine is better than a French press because it gives you a perfect and consistent brew.
• Pour-Over – A pour-over, which is most often used in the East, is a method of brewing coffee that does not involve using a machine. Instead, you’ll need to make sure that your cold water and coffee ground are placed in a container and then poured over the brewing container.
• Aero Press – The aero press is used primarily by those who really like their coffee with good foam. It operates by combining hot water and coffee right before it’s brewed. This makes it really convenient because you can make coffee in less time.
• Chemex – The chemex is a coffee filter that uses a copper brew method. The materials used for this device are high-quality paper filters, which are soaked in hot water before they are placed over the coffee grounds.
This type of filter is dishwasher safe, and it can be used on any stovetop or induction cooktop.
• V60 – This type of machine uses paper filters to separate the sediment from the brewed coffee. This process is similar to the siphon method, which was used in the days when coffee was brewed by hand.
• Siphon – A siphon machine is made up of two glass chambers. The process involves filling one chamber with water and then heating it into steam that goes into the coffee grounds before they are brewed into coffee.
Related Article: 11 Popular Brewing Methods for Coffee Beginners
Hot Tips When Making These Types of Coffee Drinks
- For Your Espresso – If you are planning on making coffee at home, it is best to use an espresso machine that is capable of brewing espresso properly. Regular drip machines do not produce the same results as the typical coffee machines.
- Espresso Not Too Thin – Espresso should not be too thin or it will taste very bitter, so keep your grounds at 10-15 grams each for your typical Italian-style espresso. For a lungo, you can boost it up to 20gms of coffee grounds.
- Learn How to Froth Milk – If you love a creamy texture, then it’s best that you learn how to froth milk properly. This is because there are a lot of other coffee shops that do not apply the right techniques, which results in a creamy texture.
- Experimenting Coffee Drinks at Home – If you want to make a variety of coffee drinks at home, it’s best that you experiment first since some recipes will require more equipment and time than others.
- Keep Your Coffee Fresh – When storing your ground coffee, make sure you place it in a container that is airtight. This will help your coffee stay fresh for a longer period of time.
- Fine Grinds – If you are going to use a French press to make your coffee, be sure to use a fine grind for the best results.
- Froth Milk Properly – Frothing milk properly is a must if you want a creamy hot chocolate drink at home. You can do this by using a whisk or an electric hand or stand mixer.
- Use Coffee Syrups – If you want to add a different flavor to your coffee, then it is best that you use a coffee syrup like Starbucks-flavored syrups for your hot and iced drinks. There are numerous ways to enhance the flavor of your coffee with lots of flavorings.
- Grind Your Own Beans – If you are looking for a more flavorful coffee, then it is best to grind your own beans since pre-ground coffee does not taste the same.
- Choose Ground Coffee Over Instant Coffee – A decent quality ground coffee will taste better than instant coffee. I always recommend coffee grounds for a fresher cup of joe.
- A Good Quality Water – Of course, there are some differences when it comes to the taste of each type of liquid, but the biggest difference is the liquid you use. You can try adding distilled water for your coffee or even filtered water to get that perfect bold flavor.
- Stay Away From Processed Flavors – If you want a nice cup of high-quality coffee, then opt for quality whole beans and grind them up at home. Just avoid any pre-flavored coffee grounds, as they contain chemicals and other substances that will not add quality to your drink.
I know it can be difficult to remember all these different names of coffee but don’t worry if you make a mistake when making these types of coffee drinks at home.
Practice makes perfect. Don’t give up after a first attempt. Pamper yourself with these drinks and you will surely enjoy the taste of these drinks forever.
From my personal experience, I really love to drink coffee. I drink it every morning.
Each time I go to buy a new coffee machine, I choose one that can make different types of coffee drinks. It’s easy with the right machines.
Before that, all of my needs were met with a simple espresso machine that didn’t make any other types of coffee drinks.
It was enough for me at the time, but after using it for a while, I decided to go for something better. So, I found a machine that can make different types of coffee drinks.
I think it’s easy to see that different types of coffee drinks are good for different people.
Drinking coffee all day long isn’t always good for your health due to too much caffeine in your system.
So, drink in moderation!