This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and a partner of other brands, I get a small commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost from you.
Pregnancy is an exciting time for many women, but it can also bring a lot of changes to the body, including changes in dietary needs.
One of the most important things to consider when pregnant is the amount of caffeine consumed. Excessive caffeine intake can lead to a variety of complications, such as miscarriage, low birth weight, and premature birth.
So, we thought that we can list for you the best decaf coffee to drink while you are in the pregnancy period!
For this reason, many women choose to switch to decaffeinated coffee during pregnancy.
Can You Drink Coffee While Pregnant?
When you become pregnant, you don’t have to fully give up your caffeine habit.
Although it used to be recommended that pregnant women completely avoid coffee and other kinds of caffeine, experts now think that low to moderate doses are safe as long as you follow a few measures.
How much would be ideal to drink while being pregnant?
Pregnant women can have up to 200 milligrams (mg) of caffeine per day without harm (the equivalent of one 12-ounce cup of coffee). More than that might somewhat raise the risk of miscarriage, although the available data are conflicting.
So, what is the best decaffeinated coffee to drink while pregnant?
The answer is not as simple as it may seem, as different decaffeination methods can affect the taste and quality of the coffee.
Here are the 5 (five) best ones!
1. The Original Donut Shop Decaf
- Get ready to dive headfirst into a cup of delicious coffee. With our full-bodied taste, you can reimagine the limits of coffee and turn every day into a treat. Νo matter how sweet and creamy you make it. So drink up, and set your taste buds to discovery mode.
- Fresh, bold, and flavourful, our Decaf coffee packs in all the happiness. Does Not Contain Any of the 8 Major Allergens.
- Rating: 4.7 out of 5
2. Folgers Classic Decaf Decaffeinated Instant Coffee Crystals
- Delicious taste and rich aroma of Folgers medium roast coffee, ready in seconds. Νo coffee maker required.
- Decaffeinated coffee that’s 99.7% caffeine free lets you enjoy The Best Part of Wakin’ Up, even when you’re already awake enough.
- Rating: 4.7 out of 5
3. 365 by Whole Foods Market
- The packaging for this product has a fresh new look. During this transition, you may get the original packaging or the new packaging in your order, but the product and quality is staying exactly the same.
- Full city roast, decaffeinated.
- Rating: 4.6 out of 5
4. Allegro Coffee Decaf Organic
- Specialty ground coffee with dark roast. It has a very special taste mostly smoky, sweet and smooth!
- Rating: 4.5 out of 5
Last, BUT certainly not least is the following coffee which is with Swiss Water Decaf Coffee Ground.
5. Organic Decaf Ground Coffee by Four Sigmatic
This swiss water decaf ground coffee doesn’t make a run-of-the-mill cup of joe. We aim to bring out the best in coffee by enhancing the extraordinary benefits of fair trade decaf coffee.
Specialty-grade beans deliver a robust coffee flavour with none of the caffeine, a smooth finish with no bitter aftertaste, and combined with almost magical ingredients. An one-of-a-kind, nutrient-packed cup of coffee.
Check out our guide for the Best Instant Decaf Coffee!
Which are the best methods of decaffeination?
One of the most popular methods of decaffeination is the Swiss Water Process. This method uses water to remove caffeine from the coffee beans, leaving behind the flavour and aroma.
The result is a coffee that is 99.9% caffeine-free, but still has the same taste and aroma as regular coffee. This method is also considered organic, chemical-free and considered to be the best for pregnant women.
Another decaffeination method is the CO2 process, which uses carbon dioxide to remove caffeine. This method is also considered to be chemical-free, but the process may damage the coffee beans.
Another option is direct solvent method. The process uses chemicals like methylene chloride or ethyl acetate to remove caffeine from the coffee beans.
The result is a coffee that is 99.9% caffeine-free, but the chemical residue can affect the taste and quality of the coffee, so it’s not considered to be the best option for pregnant women.
It’s also important to note that decaffeinated coffee can still contain a small amount of caffeine. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists recommends that pregnant women limit their caffeine intake to less than 200 milligrams per day. This is the equivalent of about one 12-ounce cup of regular coffee.
In addition to limiting caffeine intake, pregnant women should also consider other dietary changes. This can include increasing the intake of fruits and vegetables, getting enough iron and calcium, and staying hydrated. Drinking decaffeinated coffee can also help to keep hydration levels up, as it is a great source of fluids.
In conclusion ✍🏻
It is important for pregnant women to limit their caffeine intake to reduce the risk of complications.
The best decaffeinated coffee to drink while pregnant is the one that is made using the Swiss Water Process, as it is considered organic, chemical-free and the most consistent in maintaining the flavour and aroma of coffee.
Drinking decaffeinated coffee can also help to keep hydration levels up, as it is a great source of fluids. It is also important to note that pregnant women should also consider other dietary changes and stay hydrated throughout their pregnancy!